Windows and doors can speak volumes regarding a home, so, maintaining windows and doors can easily turn out to be an overwhelming process. If you are looking to further improve your home in both form and performance, knowing what’s out there and what can be achieved is a must. Regular maintenance will help maintain your windows and doors working smoothly. Use this checklist as an annual maintenance indication.
- Check out the window’s interior and exterior finish. Periodic repair to a damaged finish may be required. Also, make sure to be careful when using paints, spills and varnishes to make repairs.
- Using a toned screwdriver or any blunt tool, tap the window frame and look for softness of the wood. If you can drive the tip of the screw driver easily into the wood fabric, then it is a clear symbol of decay, which may require replacing the frame. Do the exact same for all of the windows in your own home.
- Also look at the door slab and the door jambs for breaks and other signs of damage. Window and door replacement might be more sensible if you are looking at the long-term rather than fixing these situations.
- Check exterior doors for smooth functioning. Wood doors need to have a stabilization period after set up, sometimes taking up to a year to adjust to moisture levels and other ecological factors.
- Use caution on ladders, and always wear defensive eyewear and clothing.
- Make sure any subjected hardware screws are tightened firmly.
- Clean any fine sand, dirt or dust from window and door knobs, sills and tracks.
- Check any energy sections and storm and screen combinations to make sure screws in turn buttons are firmly fastened.
- If you have a damaged glass window, you can test this temporary solution to prevent insects from entering. Use a bit of plastic material cling wrap over the broken place to close the opening. Secure it with a bit of tape to create a better seal. This is really a short-term solution and should not be utilized long term.
- To add style and design to your windows and doors without having to spend a lot of money, hang up family photographs. While artwork can be expensive, picture frames can be picked up on a budget. Don’t feel like you need to pay for a professional photo shoot. Even regular photos shot with a digital camera will show up very stylish when framed.
Keeping your home in great condition for your family’s safety and comfort will give you satisfaction. As your doors and windows stop the elements from getting in, you should make certain they’re always functioning properly through routine maintenance. In conclusion, little things such as piece of art, or big things such as adding insulating material, can make homes better than ever.